(ET) Dan's 2/10A charger

Dan,

In spite of you hijacking my thread  :-), I'll give you my opinion.

Since both undercharging, and overcharging are bad for batteries, I would not leave a battery charging on 10A overnight. The chart on my large wheeled charger, shows a totally dead battery being charged, at 10A, in 2.5 hours. You should be able to check the battery voltage before you start, with your (digital) meter, and then again after a few hours charging, then a few hours 'resting' off charger, to get a feel for how long you need to charge. After that, a mechanical timer would get you close, if you can't be around to shut it off.

When your battery is low you can certainly hook your charger to the battery, and check the VOLTAGE across the terminals. That will tell you the 2A setting is putting out adequate voltage. Checking the Amps is tougher.

I suspect your car battery is old and not holding it's charge well. Once it's charged up, and your meter reads full charge, let it sit, and check it a week, 2 weeks, etc. later. Shouldn't change much if it's a good battery. Or take the battery to Autozone, etc. and let them test it for you for free. :-)

HTH

Thon