(ET) Steering is better

Ok, it's really kind of tricky to get this to work, so I will write down my thoughts.

If your steering is skipping, here is what you might want to try:

1) Loosen the bolts on the pillow bearing up at the front of the sector shaft. This is important.

2) Loosen the collar on the steering wheel and pull it out of the steering block at the bottom.

3) Take off all the shims and the cotter pin from the sector shaft. This is really important as otherwise you will never get things lined up right.

4) Push the sector shaft forward till it hits the front wheel beam. Get some slack.

5) Loosen the two bolts that hold the steering block. They're the closest ones to the block; the other 4 hold the box to the tractor.

6) Blow out the crud behind the block and push it all the way back. Go all the way.

7) Tighten the steering block bolts.

8) Put in the sector shims and cotter

9) Put the steering shaft gear back into the block. It should mesh tightly.

10) Tighten the bolts on the pillow bearing.

That should do it. My problem was if I tried to tighten the block bolts with the washers and cotter in place it would never line up snugly. Skip skip. Then when I put it together without loosening the pillow bearing bolts it would bind there.

Fun.
Chris