(ET) Removing the steering wheel (Christopher Zach)

Chris, when my E20 began to skip teeth and have limited right turn movement I found the gear teeth to be loaded with very hard grease mixed with dirt. After digging out and washing out the deposit with WD-40 the teeth appear to mesh completely. I now have 4 washers behind the cotter key. A net or filter or something to keep out the dirt and dust would be helpful too. The wife reported the steering is much improved after she drove the E20 up and down the driveway turning sharply in both directions. I have not hooked up the mower yet because I need to replace the brushes from Harold Zimmerman in one more motor. My advice to anyone reinstalling the armature into the permanent magnet motor is to keep your fingers out of the return path of the armature. I was not paying close attention and the middle and ring finger was quickly caught in the motor between the first and second joints. A nearby open end wrench was shoved into the motor to free my hand. I thought bones were broken but now just bruises.  I removed the armature in the old red motor which I bought from Bill a long time ago because a brush broke and feel into the motor. I look forward to better steering when the mower is back on the E20 next week.