Re: (ET) Electric Bikes Now Legal in Ontario

On 4 Oct 2006 at 22:30, Joel Parks wrote:

> This same scenario has been
> repeated several times since.  I wonder if the heavily-discharged battery
> tricks the charger into thinking it is full up before it really is, or
> if the
> charger is flakey?

My guess is that the cells in your battery are out of balance.  One or
more
of them is lagging behind the others.  Most NiMH chargers use delta-V
detection, looking for a fall in on-charge voltage.  When most of the
cells
are charged, it sees that fall, and switches to float mode.  Restarting
the
charger brings up the weak cells, but overcharges the good ones.

You may get equally good results by allowing the charger to float the
battery for a week or two.  This isn't all that good for the battery
either,
but low rate overcharging is better (or less bad) than high rate
overcharging, IMO.

I doubt that the storage had much to do with this.  It may be that some of
them have higher self-discharge than the others, but in 16 months pretty
much all of the charge would have vanished from all the cells anyway.

(About now David Robie will jump in here and tell you that you should
change
to a nicad battery.  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

                               -- Emma Goldman