Re: (ET) Reply to E-bay Insanity

In my case, someone would want to buy me for what I know and then sell me for what I THINK I know. <VBG>

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Roden" <etpost drmm net>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Reply to E-bay Insanity

I'm not the sysop, and this isn't really my place here - but perhaps this is
a good time to remind folks that when you hit the SEND button or key, your
words go out and hang in the air forever.

Uncle Sam is listening, but only in the most cursory sense.  Others may be
listening much more keenly, and perhaps not for reasons that you approve of.

If you've never done so, sometime when you're bored type your name and/or
your email address into a search engine. I guarantee you'll be surprised -
possibly unpleasantly.  If nothing else, it makes for a very interesting
evening's reading.

Now think about this : those words will still be out there in a year, 5
years, 20 years, maybe 50 years or more.

Most internet mailing lists and forums are archived.  Some of them are
stored for indefinite periods in one or several public places on the net.
Many or most of them reside in tens or hundreds of thousands of private
places (the disk drives of individuals' computers).  What I type now, and
everything that you have typed to this list - it's all out there, writ large
for all to see.

Think before you send : would I want a potential or current employer, one of
my heirs, an angry subordinate, a private investigator, a jealous romantic
or business rival, a murderous or larcenous criminal, a stalker, a new mate
or old spouse or former lover to read this?

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.  Thanks for reading.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

    The only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world
    of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.

                            -- Richard Nixon, "Real Peace"(1983)