(ET) Chargers

There are a lot of posts of late regarding chargers and charging of the tractors. The capacitors are failing from old age on many units, and many owners are looking for a viable unattended maintenance charging solution.

I own a Soneil 36-volt charger which I use on my E-12, and it is simply marvellous. It's the only charger I use now, despite having a completely functional original charger still in the tractor (on its third capacitor).

Disclosure: I am a distributor for Soneil chargers - because of the unit I originally bought for the E-12. (It's been a while since I have talked about replacement chargers, so I hope no one is offended by my post.)

I have not used the Landis charger controller, but it sounds like one reasonable approach. The original charger is also reasonable, provided you know your capacitor is the correct size for tuning the ferro-resonant charger, and is in good working order. The Soneil simply provides another option, which is intelligent, affordable, compact and lightweight. Plug it in, walk away, and forget it. The charger will push the maximum rated current into the batteries until they reach charged voltage. Your tractor will be charged when you come back to it the next day, or a week, or a month, later. The Soneil can even charge in parallel with the original charger to increase the charging rate (requires two circuits, as the GE charger can suck a 15-amp circuit dry on start-up).

--
Darryl McMahon                  http://www.econogics.com
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?