Re: (ET) Chargers

Hey Darryl,

I don't think anyone should be offended at you offering another route for
us to keep our
tractors going.  On the contrary, I think we're all happy to hear what
works for other owners
and it seems to me to be a ringing endorsement when a user of a quality
product likes it so
much they become a distributor.  Thanks for that.

Anyway, the reason I'm tempted by the Soneil 3610SRF (that's the one for
the Elec-traks
right?) is because the OEM charger is so inefficient.  Do you have any
quantitative or
qualitative comparison of the efficiency of the Soneil solution to the OEM
solution?

By the way, the wording in your post seems to suggest that the Landis
charge controller is an
alternative to the OEM charger.  For any readers who read it that way, the
Landis controller
is actually an alternative to the OEM timer on top of the charger.

On a separate but related topic, currently I'm running a beefy 12-volt
winch on the front of
the tractor instead of the defunct OEM lift.  I worry that I'm imbalancing
the pack by driving
it off the two front T-105s, especially when snowblowing or plowing when I
lift the blower or
plow up and down all the time.  I wonder if I take out the OEM charger and
start using a
Soneil 3610SRF instead, I can put a 12V battery in it's place and use that
for the winch
motor.  Then to charge the 12V I can get a 36VDC-12VDC converter.  I could
use an inexpensive
little one with low rated amps, and make sure it's disconnected from the
circuit when drawing
the big amps with the winch. (Maybe I can use one of those
self-resetting-fuse things,
positive temperature coefficient devices to protect it?)  Or maybe I'd be
better off with a
separate Soneil charger for the 12V bat.

Joel
========

Darryl wrote:

There are a lot of posts of late regarding chargers and charging of the
tractors.  The capacitors are failing from old age on many units, and
many owners are looking for a viable unattended maintenance charging
solution.

I own a Soneil 36-volt charger which I use on my E-12, and it is simply
marvellous.  It's the only charger I use now, despite having a
completely functional original charger still in the tractor (on its
third capacitor).

Disclosure:  I am a distributor for Soneil chargers - because of the
unit I originally bought for the E-12.  (It's been a while since I have
talked about replacement chargers, so I hope no one is offended by my
post.)

I have not used the Landis charger controller, but it sounds like one
reasonable approach.  The original charger is also reasonable, provided
you know your capacitor is the correct size for tuning the
ferro-resonant charger, and is in good working order.  The Soneil simply
provides another option, which is intelligent, affordable, compact and
lightweight.  Plug it in, walk away, and forget it.  The charger will
push the maximum rated current into the batteries until they reach
charged voltage.  Your tractor will be charged when you come back to it
the next day, or a week, or a month, later.  The Soneil can even charge
in parallel with the original charger to increase the charging rate
(requires two circuits, as the GE charger can suck a 15-amp circuit dry
on start-up).

--
Darryl McMahon                  http://www.econogics.com
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?