(ET) Landis Controller Setup

Harry the controller came and it looks like a quality product. Let me ask you a couple of questions about the installation. When I opened my wire cage on which the timer was mounted I found burned wires at the P4 plug and the connecter on wire 52 completely broken off. I don’t know how the charger was able to worked so well. I have removed the timer and will prepare a box to hold the controller attached at the location of the old timer. Now since several ET owners have said it might be a good idea to make provisions to by-pass the controller at times especially in the winter, here’s what I want to do:

1.       Remove the plug 4 altogether and cut off feedback wires to the old timer motor and timer switch.

2.       Prepare a very short Pl-1 plug to connect with the wall outlet using a 6’ extension cord which has a 20 amp circuit breaker.

3.       Wire the 110v green wire straight through to 47 GRN at the base of Charger.

4.       Wire the 110v white wire straight through to 46 WHT going into transformer coil.

5.       Interrupt the 110v black wire at the large terminal on the solid state relay before going to 52 BLK (was 48 BLK) on the transformer coil.

6.       Wire the Red and Black wires to plus and negative battery connections behind the kick panel under dash.

7.       Install a manual 25 amp single pole double throw switch ahead of the Landis Controlled to switch the 110v hot black wire from the Landis directly to 52 BLK at the transformer coil.

Operating this switch will disconnect your solid state relay except for the white and green wires but the red and green will remain connected. Do you think that this configuration will damage the beautiful Landis Controller? Will a double pole double throw to turn off the red and black also be better? I will appreciate you reply when you find it convenient. I want to wire your unit quickly but I don’t want to go wrong. I am 85 years old and have regained some of my memory from 2 recent strokes; the last emergency hospitalization lasted 12 days in January 2006. But I love my E20 now with the AllTrax. I have kept the E20 operating constantly since purchasing new years ago. My wife is able to mow our front and back lawns with no assistance except charging the batteries, With the Landis Controller we want to make it automatic except for plugging in the cord. Thank you, Raymon Ellis