To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 5:42 PM
Subject: (ET) re-connecting the charger timer

Since I need to fix the Landis controller I fried, and don't want to have
to wait until that's working again before being able to charge the
tractor, I need to either put the timer back in, or just bypass it
altogether. So, first - would there be anything wrong with just bypassing
the timer (or Landis controller), and putting a fused jumper on the cable
that's normally open from line power (the line that the Landis or timer
close to give power to the charger), to just let it run the charger for a
while - and manually turn it off after a while? (and basically manually do
what the Landis does, but after letting it charge for a few hours.
Disconnect the power cord to the charger, let it set for a while, and see
how long it takes the voltage to drop to determine how fully charged it
is) I'm not suggesting this as a permanent charging system, but something
temporary, until I have the Landis working again, so my pack doesn't sit
around partially discharged for days. (if I do this, I'd just need to make
sure I don't go to bed, forgetting that it's plugged in, and overcharge
the pack)
 If that's a no go, I need to put the timer back in. Unfortunately,
since I wasn't planning on putting it back in, I didn't pay close
attention to how it was connected when removing it. From inspecting the
timer, and looking in the service manual, it looks like it should need
line voltage (white and black cables) powering the timer motor - which I
assume is the small gauge wires (looks like around 14 gauge perhaps)
coming off of the bottom of the timer. Those should connect to the white
and black lines from the power cable - since it's AC power, presumably it
doesn't matter which line connects to which of the wires from the timer
motor?
 Then it needs the black line coming from the power line (wall
line) to go to one of the prongs on the timer, and one of the other prongs
(spade connectors) connects to wire 52, going to the transformer. By using
my multimeter (yes, the digital one again), my assumption is that the two
spade connectors right next to each other are the ones that get these
connections. When the dial is turned to off, there is essentially infinite
resistance between them. Turn the dial some, and they're connected (not
zero resistance, but fairly small - although it does jump around, but that
could be due to all the rust on the connectors, which I need to scrape
off).
 So, until I get the Landis fixed - should I just put a fused
jumper between wire 52 (goes to the transformer) and the black line coming
in from the power cable, so the charger will just be on whenever it's
plugged in? Or should I put the old timer back in for now, and if so, is
my above guesstimation on the connections correct?

Thanks,
Mike