(ET) re-connecting the charger timer

Since I need to fix the Landis controller I fried, and don't want to have to wait until that's working again before being able to charge the tractor, I need to either put the timer back in, or just bypass it altogether. So, first - would there be anything wrong with just bypassing the timer (or Landis controller), and putting a fused jumper on the cable that's normally open from line power (the line that the Landis or timer close to give power to the charger), to just let it run the charger for a while - and manually turn it off after a while? (and basically manually do what the Landis does, but after letting it charge for a few hours. Disconnect the power cord to the charger, let it set for a while, and see how long it takes the voltage to drop to determine how fully charged it is) I'm not suggesting this as a permanent charging system, but something temporary, until I have the Landis working again, so my pack doesn't sit around partially discharged for days. (if I do this, I'd just need to make sure I don't go to bed, forgetting that it's plugged in, and overcharge the pack) If that's a no go, I need to put the timer back in. Unfortunately, since I wasn't planning on putting it back in, I didn't pay close attention to how it was connected when removing it. From inspecting the timer, and looking in the service manual, it looks like it should need line voltage (white and black cables) powering the timer motor - which I assume is the small gauge wires (looks like around 14 gauge perhaps) coming off of the bottom of the timer. Those should connect to the white and black lines from the power cable - since it's AC power, presumably it doesn't matter which line connects to which of the wires from the timer motor? Then it needs the black line coming from the power line (wall line) to go to one of the prongs on the timer, and one of the other prongs (spade connectors) connects to wire 52, going to the transformer. By using my multimeter (yes, the digital one again), my assumption is that the two spade connectors right next to each other are the ones that get these connections. When the dial is turned to off, there is essentially infinite resistance between them. Turn the dial some, and they're connected (not zero resistance, but fairly small - although it does jump around, but that could be due to all the rust on the connectors, which I need to scrape off). So, until I get the Landis fixed - should I just put a fused jumper between wire 52 (goes to the transformer) and the black line coming in from the power cable, so the charger will just be on whenever it's plugged in? Or should I put the old timer back in for now, and if so, is my above guesstimation on the connections correct?

Thanks,
Mike

--

Michael S. Briggs