Re: (ET) new relay in - now no reverse

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, RJ Kanary wrote:

Pages 5-2 and 5-3 of the Homeowner's Service manual of the cover the basic theory of the control system for the AA- E-15 and its less endowed stepchild, the E-12 S.

Ahhhhh, I usually just skip right past those pages to the schematics. :)

One of the things that is unique about an SCR is that once it is on, it is ON. Remove the gate current, and it is STILL on.You have to interrupt current flow to the anode the make it unlatch.{More sophisticated gated devices came later to address this shortcoming.} This is what the RTN circuit does for the PTO and the 'L' contactor.

Ah, I was wondering why they needed a separate circuit for returning to neutral. :) That clears many things up, thanks. I decided I need to learn more about SCRs, so found this set of pages useful, if anyone else wants to do some reading also:
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/26c.htm

As far as using a bipolar transistor to do the job.................... Why reinvent the wheel? <VBG>

Because the wheel is broken? ;)
Actually, since I didn't realize the SCR stays closed without needing a gate current, as you mentioned above, it seemed to me that operationally a PNP transistor would be functionally equivalent. Now I know they're not. :)

In (tongue in cheek) view of your other misadventures, maybe we should just stick to getting this unit to back up without making sacrificial smoke. <VVBG>

I deserve that. :) I've had a rather careless/clumsy streak lately (my wife would probably say that that streak has been going on for years :) ).

BTW, have you found out if those relays have clamping diodes in them yet ?

Based on my digital multimeter (haven't brought an analog one home from work yet - or I suppose I could buy an analog ohmmeter) they don't seem to. I'm pretty sure that that first one was just toast to begin with. When I was using the ohmmeter to figure out how the relay was wired up (didn't come with a schematic, so I needed to figure out which points on the external connections were connected where on the enclosed relay), I vaguely recall putting the ohmmeter across the two power connections and being surprised that it read 0 ohm - for some reason that didn't really register with my brain at the time. Again being careless and not paying close enough attention. Tisk tisk. I have determined though that those surplus relays royally suck. The second one I put in had a perfectly fine coil, and would switch back and forth fine (with pine 8 and 9 from card 1 temporarily jumpered). But, after triggering it once, when it went back to its default untriggered position, it would never again make good solid contact with the default points. Since opening those sealed relays up can be a pain, I decided to just put the original fried relay back in so I could get the lawn mowed, just rewiring it so that I only had forward instead of only reverse. Now that the lawn is mowed, I can pull out card 1 to inspect it (hopefully just a blown trace, and I won't need to bother replacing that SCR anyway), and replace the dead relay with a good original from a listmember (thanks again Jerry). Just in case it's not just a blown trace, I suppose I should find a good modern SCR to replace that old one with.... any idea what gate current those old ones require to close?

Mike