Re: (ET) charger voltage

Depends on the age of your batteries.   New batts are about 6.5 ea.
Average batteries chg to about 6.25 6.3 (where do you think vacuum tube
heater voltage std 6.3 came from?  2.2V/cell).  Older ones (like some I
got) chg to maybe 6.15. No matter how long or what rate you charge a lead
acid battery like we use, it will not go over this 'age and abuse
related' voltage.
    If you find one in the string that's consistantly low, swap it outa
there.  Your tractor will thank you.

Occasionally. people 'equalize' batteries by intentionally overcharging.
 This ain't good for them.  If I find a low one. I put it on a separate
6V charger to bring it up as far as, by experience, I know it will go.
My packs were not bought new, they are recycles and inherently some are
better than others.  I make sure each fall that the best ones go in the
tractor that has the snowblower.

Charge em to the point that every cell is gassing.  Then leave em
overnite to remove 'surface charge'.  Test em in the morning.   That will
tell you where your batts are at agewise.   Of course, to charge them the
voltage of the charger must be a little over this.
    So, depending on battery condition, anything from half a volt over
about 36.5 to 39
will trickle charge em, and a volt or two above will hi rate charge em.
(the charge voltage automatically tapers down because of the capacitor -
it and it's winding is called a ferro resonant circuit which is a form of
regulator) (therefore, open circuit voltage means little except too low =
bad capacitor.

Dave
Weymouth MA