Re: (ET) cordless electric mower

Hi Paul,

the "site at Tufts" is the mailing list archive for the elec-trak owners
email list.  You probably knew that.

I own a Ryobi 2400 and have loaned it to a friend since I have a Elec-trak
E15 tractor that covers my needs right now.  (I get enough exercise
cycling
to work and playing ultimate.)

My mother has a Neuton I bought for her, and she loves it.  She's been
using
it for 3 or 4 seasons now, and she's 77.

You might try taking the mower to an electronics or appliance repair
place.
The capacitor value is not likely to be critical, and a good technician
should be able to figure out what is going on and repair the circuit.
It's
not rocket science in there (not that I could do it, but anyway...)

I bet the reason they discontinued it was some combination of the
following:
- fewer moving parts = less opportunities for typical lawnmower repair
shop
to fix it
- relatively expensive warranty service, due to poorly treated batteries,
and that pesky internal fuse in the charger

On my mower, I found that there was an internal fuse in the charger that
couldn't be changed without taking the cover off and opening up the
charger
box.  After the third time it blew, I wired in an external fuse holder and
mounted it in the panel near the charging light and life was better.  I
guess the reason it blew so often for me had something to do with my
flakey
garage wiring and turning on some other high-amp tool while the charger
was
running.

I also replaced my battery after about 8 seasons.  Wow what a difference
that made in range.

Anyway, based on my experience the best thing for you to do is get the
Ryobi
fixed.  Second best is get a Neuton with a second battery (or even a third
if your yard is big).

Good luck,
Joel