Re: (ET) 12M brake disc

THis Peerless tranny brake is actually a 'floating disk'.  It is meany to
be squeezed between the inner and outer (moveable) brake pads.  More
often than not, it is frozen to the shaft by rust and lack of lube so it
doesn't float any more.
     This puts excessive wear on the outer pad and none on the inner.

At any rate, this disk brake is too small for such a heavy tractor as
these.  We shooould eschew use of the brake pedal to stop, relying on the
gearing of the tractor to slow us down and it will stop us too in the
lower gears.  Here, it is used only as a parking brake.  Even on the one
tractor I have where it is still floating as it should.

2 notes regarding this brake system"

1)   At the pedal shaft at the top, there is an oil hole that is often
painted over or clogged
       with dirt.  Lube it often.

2)  At the rear of the tractor, some of you will find, around  the axle
housing on the brake
      side, a metal clip.  This is for a brake return spring' - the
spring goes to pull thebrake
      pedal rod back  so the brake doesn't drag.  If you haven't this
spring (often missing)
      brake pad life will be short to nonexistant.

Dave
Weymouth MA