Re: (ET) 12M brake disc

If the disc is loose on the aluminum hub, that issue must be addressed.If the aluminum hub slides freely in the brake stub shaft,and the disc is firmly attached to the hub, that is normal.In order for the brake to work effectively, the disc has to be able to 'float' along with the caliper.

----- Original Message ----- From: "tbamc" <tbamc gbta net>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 12:13 AM
Subject: (ET) 12M brake disc

My pedal wasn't returning well--without some encouragement from me.
Lubed several places and that's better, but while under there I noticed
that the brake disc (not the cast iron set up) was flopping a bit rather
than solidly locked to the axle.  Appears to have rivets (?) holding
it.  Outer edge of disc will perhaps move 1/8 of inch, left to right.
Some in the archives talk of 'floating' discs.  Is this acceptable, or a
problem that needs fixing?  My manuals don't have much info on this.

Thanks.

Thon