Re: (ET) Looking for an Elec-Trak in eastern PA

I have an E12S at my sister's place near Woodstown, NJ. I don't think they use it anymore, and I really don't need it. It's no beauty but when I took care of it it worked really well - I don't know what shape it's in right now. May need new batteries. The E12S is a good 'starter' machine, as it is one of the simplest electrically, yet has the size and power to handle any implement. Has a front mount mower in (or at least was in) good shape. I have a snowblower in Leesburg VA that could go with it. Let me know.

- SteveS

Hello,

After several months of trying to learn as much as possible before
taking the plunge, I've decided now is the time.

The big question I still have is the performance difference (if any)
between the mid and front mounted mowing decks.

For the past few years I've been mowing our 1/3 acre lawn with a
cordless push mower, so from what I've read, just about any sized ET
should be able to handle the task.

If anyone has or knows of an ET available in the eastern PA
(Philadelphia / Allentown) or NJ area, please drop me a line.

Hi Rod, Russ,

I'm in the area all right, but can't really help with a tractor.  I have
mine and hope to keep it a *very* long time.  I'd be happy to chat on or
off
list about it (please use my gmail address), but I'm only a two-season
'Trak-er (actually EGT-150 New Idea-er).  The man to see in this area is
Harold Zimmerman.  Just look in the archives for Clean Power.  Harold gave
me a good deal on a good tractor and really helped this newbie figure out
what I needed.

I was also concerned about the difference between mid and front mount
decks.
I ended up getting a mid mount.  The differences you'd expect are that you
can get under stuff easily with a front mount and flip it up to hose it
out,
but having the deck way out front also poses some problems.

Keep in mind that your tractor (or any non-leaning, front-steering
vehicle) turns around the rear tires.  Having the deck way out front means
that your rear tires will always be inside the tightest circle you can mow
around.  If you have tight curves around flower beds, trees, walls, etc.,
that might be an issue.

Most large frame ETs have a really tiny turning circle which is a benefit
in
some cases.  The mid mount decks only fit on special long wheelbase ETs
(the
M in E-15M, etc.) that can't turn anywhere near as tight.  I posted some
numbers maybe two years ago, but don't have them on this computer.

Anyway, I've sometimes wished I had a tighter turning circle.  I also wish
my mid mount deck wouldn't hang up so easily on roots, stones, etc. when
backing up.  (I've had to unfold my deck on a few
occasions.)  I'm not happy about having to unhitch the thing and haul it
out
to clean it.  But I really like having the deck right near the rear wheels
so I don't run over what I'm trying to mow around.

Remember that I have virtually no experience with a "normal" front mount
ET.
This is just one man's opinion.

Chris