Re: (ET) panels - materials besides steel ?

At 01:45 AM 6/11/06 -0400, JBR wrote:
Does battery acid attack stainless ?
Would Fiberglass (epoxy resin or polyester resin) be more resistant ?

Sulphuric acid is pretty close to an universal solvent. If the acid is sufficiently concentrated then apparently cast iron will not be attacked but that's about it. I spent some time researching this at one point looking for something to use as a conductive probe, at least some types of stainless are moderately resistant. Obviously, the cases batteries are made of are also moderately resistant. The only real way to keep material from corroding from battery acid though is to keep the battery acid away from the material.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions, be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to chew a radio signal. " -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/