Re: (ET) Replacing Batteries

On 18 May 2006 at 22:39, Herb Crary wrote:

> Does anyone have the original battery model or some
> form of identifying the recommended Model or size.

Ordinary group GC2 golf car batteries are fine.  I recommend US Battery
type
2200, basic 115 minute batteries; or US 2000, 108 minute batteries.
They're
also sold under the "Interstate Workaholic" brand name.

Some folks prefer Trojan T-105s, but they usually cost more than the USBMC
product.  IIRC they also offer fewer choices of terminal styles.

I haven't been too pleased with Exides in years past, but some people seem
to like them.

Sam's Club batteries are popular with ETers because they're relatively
cheap.  Quality varies; you'll get whatever supplier bid lowest this
quarter
or year.  In an ET the difference aong brands may not be a big deal.

> Also, is there any
> concensus about the wisdom and/or safety of replacing only one in the
> pack. I
> would think this would be rather iffy unless they were all brand new.

You're right; charging characteristics change as batteries age, and the
older ones tend to drag the new battery down.  If you have one battery in
the pack fail prematurely, it's better to replace it with a used battery
from your local golf course, battery dealer, or industrial vehicle
workshop.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
War will never cease until babies begin to come into the world
with larger cerebrums and smaller adrenal glands.

                                  -- H L Mencken