(ET) Chains

> <<<< When a chain snaps, it drops straight down.>>>
>
> I disagree with this as I have had a chain break and fly over the cab of
> my truck and no nylon or steel cables were involved.  Since then I do
> not jerk on objects like this I use slow steady pressure like with a
> come-along...

 I now aggree with using the steady pressure method.  I would guess that in your scenario, using the jerk method, the part of the chain which snapped was already traveling at the same speed as your truck.  When you hit the end of the chain and it snapped, the truck was momentarily slowed, and the chain, still traveling at the speed it had been accellerated to prior to failure, was carried over the truck.   Regardless, you're fortunate that it didn't come through the back window.  With skidders, the loggers only occasionally use cable, and then only for bundling a load that they are dragging.  If I had a nickel for every time I used the jerk method with chains, cables, and ropes to budge some stubborn tree out of the brush... I've been very lucky.

SteveA
e-15