Re: (ET) 48 volts

Anyone consider the possibility of a low-cost solid-state controller to
drop the 48V to 36 for the deck motos, etc.?

At 06:54 AM 5/4/2006 -0700, Eric Adams wrote:

>I have been wondering about the 48 volt Elec-trak as well. Higher voltage
>would
>be a little more efficient, and 48 volt components are a little more
>available
>via the forklift markets.
>
>There has been talk of overspeeding the mower motors by raising the
>voltage,
>but I can't help but wonder about that. I would assume that the system was
>designed to safe with a fully charged 36 volts pack, which is ...what?...
>42ish
>volts? And we are all painfully aware how much the voltage sags under
>load on
>flooded batteries. So, would a 48 volt pack sag down to a safe voltage
>for the
>mowers?

A couple of points to keep in mind.
         First a fully charged 48V battery will be up to 55V.  I've had
field report of hot batteries (just off charge) with voltages up to 60V
         Second the speed of the PM motors on the deck will be
approximately proportional to the applied voltage. The energy contained in
the blades will be proportional to the square of the speed.  This means
the
energy in the blades will be more than 70% higher.
         Third, the wind resistance and mechanical resistance will keep
the
blade from reaching that speed but at the expense of increasing the
current
(higher torque to overcome the resistance and compensate for IR drops) so
the motors will run hotter.

None of this means it can't work but it's not necessarily a minor change.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,   be
they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to chew a
radio signal. "  -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/

IMPORTANT WARNING: The information in this message (and the documents
attached to it, if any) is confidential and may be legally privileged. It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone
else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of
this message (and the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard
copies you may have created and notify me immediately by replying to this
email. Thank you.