(ET) Charger

This is for Chris.It?s good to read your contributions here. I appreciate
your helpful comments. I don?t know that I have any immediate problem, but
after reading all about the battery voltage and charger levels, I checked
my
E-20 which has 5 year old Trojan 105 batteries. Note that my AllTrax
controller seems to be doing a fine job with a pot on the dash and a pot on
the  pedal. The cruise control button is wired to switch to the dash pot as
detailed by Ralph G. Vogan sometime ago.  I don?t use near as much power
cutting the grass as I did with all the resistors in the original setup.
Sometime I just skip charging after hauling a few loads of brush cuttings
down into the woods on my small trailer. This may not be good for my
batteries. I set the timer to the 6-year old battery  and the charger
brought the batteries to 43.9 volts and then the charger began a louder
sort
of idling noise and would not take the voltage higher. In fact it dropped
back to 43.8 volts in a few minutes so I turned it off. Are my readings
reasonable or do you think I need call Harold Zimmerman and replace the
capacitor in the charger