Re: (ET) converting a gas mower to electric

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Christopher Zach wrote:

I don't need the full range that a golf cart normally has, and don't need to go as fast, so I'm thinking about using the same motor and controller as a golf cart, just with fewer batteries (to reduce the weight, and get by with lower voltage and battery capacity).
        Has anyone else done this?

Some people have done it. What I really like about the Elec-trak is how drop-dead simple the controller is. Even on my old Craftsman I found that 99% of my time was spent with the engine at full, the speed in gear 3, and mowers engaged.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I figure if I can find a cheap old electric lawnmower, I should be able to use the motor, controller, and transmission from it (actually, I've been thinking it might be easiest to put the actual mower deck underneath an electric golf cart, powered with a separate motor but off the same batteries. It would be "cleaner" though to transfer all of the golf cart internals to the old gasser riding mower). I'd certainly be open to buying an old Elec-Trak - if I could find one somewhere around here. So - anyone know someone with an Elec-Trak for sale in the seacoast NH region? Or an old electric golf cart? :)

Thanks,
Mike