Re: (ET) 2nd generation LFA Desulfator: DIY

On 17 Apr 2006 at 14:13, Klein Robert W NPRI wrote:

> http://www.shaka.com/~kalepa/technotes.htm
>
> This website might help

There's certainly some interesting information here, but when it comes to
the operation of "desulfators," it appears to me that all the writer
offers
is opinion : "My opinions on the matter, subject to further learning are
..."

Opinion isn't fact.  I reiterate : no one has yet demonstrated to me that
these gadgets do anything significantly different inside the battery from
the action of an ordinary battery charger.

I will add : no one has offered what I consider a valid, supportable
explanation for what desulfators supposedly do.

Since the writer of that webpage offered his opinion, here's mine.

Somebody tried an experiment with a "pulser" circuit years ago, and found
that it seemed to improve the battery's capacity temporarily (which a
couple
of proponents of these gadgets have admitted to me is the case - in their
experience, the improvement is not permanent).  Instead of conducting an
investigation of what was really happening, he invented a fanciful,
scientific-sounding explanation.  Instead of setting up a test in which
his
invention was tried against other devices (and indeed against no device at
all), he just cited his one-sided experiments as anecdotal evidence that
it
worked and left it at that.

I mean no offense to anyone.  I know that some folks really believe these
gadgets work better than an ordinary charger.  Hey, if that's enough to
remove the money from your pocket, fine; but I'm keeping my hand on my
wallet.  At the risk of veering into the realm of religion, it seems to me
that belief improperly applied just gets in the way of knowledge.  I'm
still
waiting for some of the latter on desulfators.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
     As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,
     more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some
     great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
     their hearts' desire at last, and the White House will be
     adorned by a downright moron.

                             -- H L Mencken, 1920