Re: (ET) Alltrax install!

On 23 Feb 2006 at 8:05, john briese wrote:

> It measure current and voltage and "knows" what is going on by
> those measurements, not some crude poorly working temperature relay.

Are you sure?  The controller would have to keep track of time, too, and
guess at the accumulation of heat in the motor.  I don't know of any such
logic included, but I didn't design the controller, so it might be.

In any case, I'd think that actually reading the motor's temperature would
be more accurate and reliable.

Robert Adsett <subscriptions aeolusdevelopment com> wrote :

> I would call that regen not plugging.

Now there I'd have to disagree, though it's really a matter of
nomenclature.
The controller and motor aren't returning any energy to the battery, so by
definition it's not regenerating anything.  It's >dissipating< the energy
as
heat in the motor and controller.

I remember Steve Richardson telling me that the Alltrax plugs rather than
regenerating.  I thought I had the email in which he said that, but I
can't
seem to find it in my Scientific Email Filing Sysem (large numbers of
email
folders ;-).  He may have told me that over the phone.

In the emails I do have from him, he uses the terms "regen" and "plug
braking" interchangeably.  I'll drop him a line and get this clarified.
I'll also ask him for his definition of plug braking, so we at least know
what the Alltrax is doing.  Finally, I'll ask him for his thoughts on how
well the controller monitors motor temperature.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a
little longer.

                                        -- Henry Kissinger