Re: (ET) Alltrax install!

At 09:16 PM 2/22/2006 -0500, Christopher Zach wrote:
> I don't know for sure why Alltrax did it this way. I could say that it might be
> because that prevents battery damage from trying to regen into a fully-
> charged battery, but that would be pure speculation.

Hm. Odd reason if so. The old Elec-traks just regen away, no big deal
there.

Agreed.  So does every other EV I've seen or implemented regen on.

Also with a shunt motor you can control the regen by simply dropping the
field voltage. Less voltage=less regen. Simple cutout to build.

Well, that does take time, but if the voltage is too high you can simply turn off the drive FETs and float the armature, torque and current will drop to zero, the voltage will simply match the motor speed.

Maybe the problem is the FETs can't take reverse voltage for significant
periods of time?

The voltage doesn't reverse under regen. Voltage could be an issue if they used undersized FETs but plugging would be even more dangerous.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions, be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to chew a radio signal. " -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/