Re: (ET) Alltrax install!

On 22 Feb 2006 at 19:56, Robert Adsett wrote:

> At 04:43 PM 2/22/2006 -0800, Rob Brockway wrote:
> >I did not think the unit was truelly regen capable.  Does anyone know
> >if
> >it really is ?

I specifically asked Steve about this.  The Alltrax ET controller does NOT
provide regenerative braking.  It does have plug braking which is
activated
when power is removed from the enable input.

For those who don't know what plug braking is, it's similar to dynamic
braking, but all the kinetic energy is dissipated in the motor itself
instead of
in an external resistor.  If you have an electric push mower, most likely
it
uses plug braking to stop the blade immediately when you shut the mower
off.

I don't know for sure why Alltrax did it this way.  I could say that it
might be
because that prevents battery damage from trying to regen into a fully-
charged battery, but that would be pure speculation.