Re: (ET) Reliable, heavy-duty electric tractor?

Pieter wrote:
How about an E-15 with an Alltrax controller upgrade? This would make it far more reliable than the original relays and circuit boards. The mechanicals are pretty solid (except for the mini-brake). It may be a sacrilege to this group, but I use a 14 hp DR brush hog, an old Gravely walk-behind, and a 40HP John Deere utility tractor with PTO drive brush hog to mow trails. By my standards, the front deck on the 15 and the mid deck on the 12 are certainly not trail mowers, nor do I know of a tow behind electric trail mower. Swisher makes some powered tow behind trail mowers for ATVs and garden tractors that could be used as trail mowers (if you don't have an objection to a gasoline engine in tow).

For simplicity I would recommend a straight E12. Very basic speed control, no worry about field weakening, no electronics more complex than a pair of diodes (replace), and the frame/body/motor of E15/20 caliber.

However I think the deck would disintegrate if used heavily on things like trails. The wheels are not up to it, nor are the wheel spindles. As well the deck itself would need reinforcing.

Chris