Re: (ET) New wiring question?

Others on the list will have a feel for whether this would be appropriate,
but did you consider a split-bolt connector like electricians use on heavy
wire?  You'd only need to be able to get wrenchs into the space to use one
of these, and there'd be no danger of setting a fire while trying to
solder.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:37:50PM -0500, Robert Adsett wrote:

> >Now I am debating whether to try crimp lugs or solder. Crimp
> >seems iffy without the expensive proper crimper. I assume that solder
> >is
> >just a
> >propane torch and some big fat solder wire. Any practical comments or
> >experience?
>
> I have used in the past a cheap hammer powered crimping
> device.  Unfortunately I don't know where to get them.

I've found these before via google, here:

http://www.solarseller.com/quick_cable_crimper_cutter_stripper.htm

the hammer type is $27.50.

BTW this site also has compression lugs which supposedly don't need any
special tools.

Which leads me into asking about this subject myself - not ET-related but
someone on this list might know!

For far too long now I've been working on a car restoration. One of the
minor though problematic aspects is the battery cable, which runs from
the battery beneath the rear seat, through the passenger side footwell
towards the engine. Just before it heads through the firewall, it has a
stupid three-way crimp on it, where the two lengths of heavy (4ga)
join, as well a a tee to feed the electronics. As one might guess after
20+ years beneath the carpet, this crimp fell apart in a mass of green
corrosion, and I'm at a loss for how to re-make it.

1) no-one makes a butt-splice with a tee on it, that I can find.

2) The location is too cramped and awkward to use the hammer crimper.

3) I don't really want to spend $200+ on a real crimp tool, for one
crimp.

4) no tool rental places have such tools.

Would love to hear any ideas!

Graham

IMPORTANT WARNING: The information in this message (and the documents
attached to it, if any) is confidential and may be legally privileged. It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone
else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of
this message (and the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard
copies you may have created and notify me immediately by replying to this
email. Thank you.