Re: (ET) New wiring question?

I used the existing high power wiring when I installed my Alltrax.  It
might
have been better to rewire, but it was kind of chilly in the garage at the
time. ;-)

I don't recommend soldering high power terminals unless you have no other
choice.  I've done it, and it's worked OK, but it's not ideal.  The solder
always wicks up into the wire, stiffening it, and making the connection
more
subject to damage from flexing.

You should never use solder to hold a splice or connection together
anyway;
it should already be mechanically strong to begin with.  Solder serves to
exclude air from splices and stabilize them.  A properly crimped copper
lug
doesn't need any soldering.

Real terminals will always be better and easier to use than those made
from
copper tubing.  If nothing else they look better!  But if you're working
on
the cheap, tubing is OK.

Hammer crimpers may be purchased from the EV parts operations such as :

http://www.kta-ev.com/

http://www.electroauto.com/

http://www.evparts.com/

Hex crimpers are nice, but VERY expensive and they take a lot of strength
work properly.   Some people swear by the homemade ones.  Yes, you can cut
the cost a lot by making one from cheap Chinese bolt cutters.  (FWIW, the
original example hacked up by Bill Dube' used an old high quality bolt
cutter, not a cheapie from Harbor Freight.)

In my experience, a properly used hammer crimper will make just as good a
connection as a hex crimper.  It may even do a better job for feebs like
me
who have lousy upper body strength.  The only disadvantage is that you
have
to have the cables out of the EV or tractor.  Make sure you use a
substantial hammer; a 20 oz claw hammer isn't going to do it.  I use a
mini-
sledge.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

me a private message, please use "evadm at drmm period net."
     I believe in an America where the separation of church and state
     is absolute ... where no minister would tell his parishoners for
     whom to vote, where no church or church school is granted any
     public funds or political preference ... where no religious body
     seeks to impose its will ... upon the general populace or the public
     acts of its officials.
                                  -- President John F Kennedy