Re: (ET) Fuse fireball--warning

Good point about the arc.  Arcs are spectacular and produce a lot of light
and heat, but it doesn't take an awful lot of current to sustain them.

At 11:13 AM 1/2/06 -0500, Christopher Zach wrote:
>>John mentioned time to blow rating for fuses.  That can be an issue if
>>you are close to the rating but I think you probably ran into the
>>voltage
>>rating given the description above.
>
>Yes. That is why the forklift fuse (which is AIR rated to 5,000 amps and
>is DC rated) didn't blow in time. It's probably a slow blow.

It's also possible that the arc on the fuse that did 'blow' introduced
enough resistance that the main fuse blow time was extended over that for
dead short.  I've seen that effect with controllers where the controller
shorts but leaves a few 10's of milli-ohms worth of resistance in the
circuit to protect the fuse.  Emergency disconnects are wonderful devices
:)

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,   be
they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to chew a
radio signal. "  -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/

IMPORTANT WARNING: The information in this message (and the documents
attached to it, if any) is confidential and may be legally privileged. It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone
else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of
this message (and the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard
copies you may have created and notify me immediately by replying to this
email. Thank you.