Re: (ET) Fuse fireball--warning

At 11:13 AM 1/2/06 -0500, Christopher Zach wrote:
John mentioned time to blow rating for fuses. That can be an issue if you are close to the rating but I think you probably ran into the voltage rating given the description above.

Yes. That is why the forklift fuse (which is AIR rated to 5,000 amps and is DC rated) didn't blow in time. It's probably a slow blow.

It's also possible that the arc on the fuse that did 'blow' introduced enough resistance that the main fuse blow time was extended over that for a dead short. I've seen that effect with controllers where the controller shorts but leaves a few 10's of milli-ohms worth of resistance in the circuit to protect the fuse. Emergency disconnects are wonderful devices :)

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions, be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to chew a radio signal. " -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/