(ET) Electric Motors 101

Title: Message
Hi
I know we've had this discussion before. But, I've got myself all confused again, What are the three types of Electrak Motors, and how do they operated and what are the differences. I am think they are PM. Combination, and Separate.
    The reason I am asking is I found a high current manual switch by Square D that I think can be used to replace the entire forward/reverse CKT. It can be wire for all three types of motors. If this works it a pretty simple fix. The switch replaces the contactor and the switch from forward to reverse is made manually.

Cheers (stay dry)

Geof Thompson