Re: (ET) especially for Chris Zack

Running a fuel cell off the LNG line is a cool idea; only problem is gas is now way over a buck a therm as opposed to $.25 cents back in the bad old days of 1999. Ah well.

I am seriously thinking of getting a 3600 watt inverter and rigging the Elec-trak as a house backup pack. With 160ah of flooded NiCDs I should be able to run the fridge for a few days (for example)

Chris

Elie, Larry (L.D.) wrote:

A nice old idea.  We at Ford did that both for hybrids (research
quantities... Not for sale) several years ago.  The more exciting one
was the Fuel Cell car that powers the house... From your natural gas
line yet, and also compresses to LNG for it's own use during the day.
Note I said natural gas-- the idea was abandoned when CO2 was determined
by the public to be a problem some greenhouse gas.  They don't plumb H2
lines to your house folks, even though the Fuel Cell would be happy.
Way too expensive anyway, but they built a concept in 1999 as I recall.
Nor was the idea original with us.  If you can size it right, the cell
could power the house and sell back enough excess to the grid to pay for
all the power you would use during the day.  Don't hold your breath; I
don't expect it in my lifetime.

Larry Elie