(ET) Transmissions...

I've been running ET's for 10 years or so.  I think I've torn them down
enough times, but apparently not...

I was driving the E12 in L just minding my own business when a loud SNAP
occurred.  I coasted to a quick stop.  I checked the belt; it was fine.
I towed it to the garage.  No differential action.  A quick inspection
yielded the root cause; the left housing had lost 2 bolts, and the
remaining 2 were VERY loose; the axle had moved out 3/8" or so.  I HAVE
found them loose on that side before.  I replaced the bolts.  Still no
differential and no drive.  I dropped the axle (only 5 bolts, 6 counting
the brake) and found I could get the gearbox in gear.  Put it back and I
couldn't any more.  Any suggestions?

I dropped an E15 axle in the E12 (same pulley size, just double instead
of single pulley) and got up and running pretty easy.

BTW, while I had it out I found the Peerless trans has MORE than 4
speeds (I think I remember a thread about that somewhere) and counted at
least 4 on one side, maybe on the other also.  The other two are
PROBABLY reverses, and are locked out by the frame hole.  I would like
to know what they are and the relative speeds.  It would be wonderful if
it was a faster forward speed, but that's pretty doubtful.  A real
reverse gear isn't too interesting as you could burn out the controller
pretty easy if you have to reverse to go forward, but it would be nice
to know about.  Might even be useful if one wants to pull HARD in
reverse; the ET isn't too strong backing up.

Larry Elie