(ET) lift motors, almost, but not quite....

So this evening I replaced my forward lift motor with a spare from a 71 Buick. They look the same, but of course you have to open the Buick motor and run a wire out from it as they are shipped with a common ground (ie: car).

Not the same amount of power, unfortunately and not the same windings. I was wrong last night when I said the elec-trak lift was the same as the Delco car lift. It's not. Proof in the pudding: Swapping a buick armature into the elec-trak's body (field) made the armature run slow and pull a lot of current. Field was imbalanced and since this is a series motor that's a problem.

With the Delco motor you really can only run it at 12 volts. I'm going 14 myself because I have infinite taps with the NiCD batteries. It pops it's breaker more often than the old one did, which is a serious problem. If it's having this kind of trouble with the mower deck it's not going to do well with the snowblower.

*sigh* So I guess our options are either find motors, somehow rebuild them, rewind them, or go in another direction. Anyone ever replaced their lift with a small 12 volt winch?

Chris