(ET) unsusal problem solved

I don't know if any of you have experienced this problem. But when pushing the throttle lever forward, my E-15 jumped from 'drive" (speed 3) directly to full power (speed 7) in the position where speed 4 should have been. After regaining control...I opened up the back cover on the dash. I tried in again and it worked fine.

Thinking it was just a momentray glitch, I screwed the cover back on and speeds 4,5, and 6 were once again gone. I thought something may be pressing against the forward relay. I carefully moved all the wires out of the way, and make sure there were no obstructions. When the back panel was put back, sure enough, same problem occurred.

On the third attempt, I noticed a little arc and a speck of smoke eminate for the card with the resistors (card #3, I think), Seems the solder came loose on the large resisitor and made contact only when the rear panel cover was down and lost contact when the panel was put up in it's normal position. A small soldering job on the connection solved everything. If anyone ever looses upper speeds, you might want to check this resistor card first.

BTW, Take care when testing power to the main motor that your knee does not inadvertently knock your gearshift out of neutral.....

Barry
E-15
Dayton