(ET) HA26E15HA Reverse problem

Title: Message

Hello all. I'm a new E15 owner, the HA26E15HA version, and I'm having some trouble (I have another couple posts about the PTO and the Lift Motor!). The tractor overall is in fairly good condition, but has not been used at all for a few years (sitting in a barn) because it did not appear to go into reverse - made it hard for the previous owner to use, I guess! I've tried using the guides and manuals that I have, but have trouble finding info specific to the HA model. Here's what it does: reverse only moves the tractor in the lowest gear and only when the batteries are fairly "full", and only in the third (fastest) setting. There is no response in the first two speeds, and it's a slow build-up of speed in the third speed, with a heavy current draw. To get any response at all the drive motor has to be fully stopped, and I have to put it quickly into the highest speed (in reverse), with no response if I let it stay in either of the lower speeds for any amount of time before going to the highest speed. There actually is a response in the other gears, but proportionally less, and less of a response as the battery is drawn down, as if there just isn't the current available to do it.

Some other notes on this problem:

1.) There is no braking in reverse, just a gradual decrease in speed.

2.) There is no response in the first two reverse speeds.

3.) The R and F contactors do appear to click at the appropriate times.

Well, now having gone out and fiddled with it some more, it's a little different. I was moving the speed lever slowly in the reverse speeds, to see when the R contactor clicked, and I found that there was sometimes a mild action in the second speed. After all the fiddling, what happens is that the R contactor clicks in the second speed (still no response anywhere in what I think should be the first speed), and clicks again for the third (highest) speed. At least I think it's the R contactor, I can't be entirely sure. But now the usage meter only shows a very sight movement into the green in both forward and reverse (it used to jump 2/3 into the yellow top arc when I put it into 3rd speed reverse, and slowly move down to the middle of the green as the motor slowly ramped up), and the battery level meter drops about halfway during both forward and reverse.   It still behaves the same as far as slowly ramping up in reverse 3rd speed and it does still move the tractor like before.  It looks to me (as a separate problem) that something happened while I was fiddling with the speed lever and caused some other problem(s).

So, I have a number of questions:

1.) Any ideas about what's going on?

2.) Can anyone point me towards history or info on the difference between the other models and the "HA" model? I did find the "Product Service Manual for Model E12JA &E14/Model E15HA & E16" on the Elec-Trak Owners Group site, but is there more?

3.) Can anyone point me towards info on how the cans that click work? (relays, contactors, or whatever they're called?)

4.) How do you get the dash (where the PTO and lift switches, etc, are) off - mine seems stuck, I was assuming it would just fold down after removing the four screws, like the piece the fuses are mounted on.

5;) When the troubleshooting guides talk about a "relay energizing", do they mean that it makes the click, and therefore either opens or closes? And is there a difference between the RTN and 2A-H relays (I think they would be called relays) and the contactors in the cans?

Sorry for all the questions. I am obviously a neophyte with these tractors. I'm used to the small electric motors and speed controllers used on electric RC models, which are much simpler! I suspect the simpler thing to do would be to get one of those AllTrex controllers, but the current finances dictate troubleshooting! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Doug McCorkle