Re: (ET) ET and actual fuel costs

I'm in the forklift business.  Going by "shifts" a heavy usage shift will be about 6 hours on the 'run time' or 'travel' hour meter.  A typical electric truck can run one shift per charge. Comparatively an IC truck under the same usage will use about 1 bottle of LPG.  We calculate charging an electric forklift to cost about $2.00 per day.  This compares with a bottle of LPG averaging $14.00.  A class I forklift battery can run around the $3200 range and the 'industry' says it will last 5-7 years.  So, $14/day x 5 days x 52 weeks =$3600.00. Vs. electric $2.00 x 5 x 52 =$520.00.  Take that over the 5yr minimum life of the battery (also a typical forklift lease) and you have $18,00000 vs 2600.00!  Furthermore electrics are far less maintenance than IC.

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen & Carol Welch
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:22 PM
To: Gordon Trump
Cc: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) ET and actual fuel costs

I was doing some thinking about something similar while mowing last
weekend.  To be accurate some further work is necessary:
(ICE vs. ElecTrak)
1.  Gasoline = electrons (energy source)
2.  Gasoline = batteries (storage medium)
3.  Gasoline mower also requires oil & filter changes & spark plugs.

So, comparing ICE with electric operating costs, one should factor in
new batteries every 5 years (or whatever) since the gas you buy for
the mower is also the energy storage medium.  Then on the other
side,  oil & spark plugs for the ICE.  Most other costs (tires, etc.)
could be considered comparable.

Just thinking it over (no calculators or spreadsheets involved) I'm
guessing that the ET and the ICE would at least come out to be a
wash, plus you'd have the added benefit of less noise, no fumes, and
reduction in air pollution.

Anybody want to run the numbers?  :^)