From: Kuffa, Thomas [mailto:Thomas Kuffa carlisletire com]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 12:00 PM
To: Klein Robert W NPRI
Subject: RE: Motor Control Problem on C-185: test results

Hi Bob,

Your measurements are interesting. They definitely show some problems.

Wire # 5 to #29 - Readings are what they should be except for the Key off voltage of 19.6. Should be zero. Where's that voltage coming from? You said the seat switch was disconnected. Where are the wires located that were attached to it? Are they possibly laying on top of the batteries where they might be making contact with a battery connector?

Wire # 34 to # 29- Key off voltage is zero as it should be. Both the key on voltages fwd. & rev. should be 37+ volts.Indicates a problem with the start switch in your speed control(should be closed in the home position).If it's working properly, either RTN or RTNR should pull-in when the keyswitch is turned on.You might want to check this. Pedal down fwd. and pedal down rev. voltages should stay at 37+. Voltage drop indicates a possible problem with contacts on both RTN or RTNR relays or a poor connection at them.

Wire# 23 to #5- All the voltage readings are what they should be for a normal start of your tractor. Interesting to note that the only difference between this and the first pair of wires is that the seat switch, brake switch and thermal in the motor are between them.Since all of these are either bypassed or closed, the voltage readings should have been the same. You might try putting a jumper from wire #23 to #29 and repeat the first set of measurements to see if they now agree.

Wire #23 to #34- Key off voltage should have been zero. Key on Voltage forward and reverse are correct; indicating your start switch is in the home position. Pedal down fwd.and rev. should both remain at 37+ volts. Both the RTN and RTNR relays should have energized, but if they did, neither one passed voltage from wire #5 to wire #34 indicating a possible problem with a contact or connection.

That's a good start! Gives you a chance to check somemore on your next opportunity. If you want me to contact you again by phone, send me an email. Next week our plant has it's annual maintenance shutdown, so I'll be in the plant most of the week.

Tom