Re: (ET) Just received my Alltrax today!

Hi Allen,

I followed the Alltrax installation instructions pretty closely, once I
understood what all the issues were!  Mounting the contactor on the unit
worked well for me.
One thing I did that I'm happy with is to reuse one of the small open-frame
relays and one of the large double-pole contactors to implement a PTO
return-to-off function like the factory wiring has.  This way, if you leave
the seat or turn off the key the mower or snowblower power stops until you
return to the seat, turn on the key, and lift the momentary PTO start
switch
on the dash.  See
http://www.elec-trak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72&highlight=harold for my
discussion and a circuit diagram.  Note that this requires the seat switch
to be functioning.  Mine wasn't but I got a replacement from Harold
Zimmerman, cleanpower att net.

One thing I haven't evaluated about the circuit is how the brake switch
interacts with the Alltrax.  My tractor's brake pedal shaft is frozen in
the
frame boss and I haven't gotten it loose yet, so I've never used the brake.

I didn't replace wiring yet, although I should and hope to this winter.
But
my advice on that subject is this: if you don't replace a wire, at least
remove it, polish the corrosion off all mating parts, and reassemble with a
light smear of Kopr-shield (which I got from Eastwood).

I mounted the Curtis pot-box I got from Alltrax along with the DCX-300T in
the space forward and right of where the original speed control assy was
hanging.  To actuate the pot-box, I drilled a vertical hole through the
ET's
aluminum casting to allow a piece of steel rod to run down to a foot pedal
mounted on the floorboard.  The linkage is not complicated but it took me a
while to come up with it.  I have posted some pictures on the elec-trak.com
site.  See http://www.elec-trak.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=21.  Let me
know if you need better pictures or more views.  I cut a small panel of
plexiglass that replaces the speed control dash mounting panel, and that's
where I installed a commonly-available toggle switch to control forward and
reverse.

After you've been moving wires around behind the control panel and under
the
dash, you may want to carefully check that no wires are contacting the
fusible link on the main battery disconnect.  I didn't and it could have
been a more expensive or disastrous mistake than it turned out; as it was I
had to replace the PTO contactor, small relay, and some wires.  Oh and the
headlight bulb filaments vaporized.  The fusible link can get very hot, and
melt the insulation on any wires touching it.

Let me know if this raises more questions or if you need clarification.
I've also posted some related stuff on my page at http://jpjt.net/et/.

Joel