-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Perry Cain
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:57 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) RE: Elec-trak Digest, Vol 3, Issue 196

Weeha!  My chance to answer a question for someone!  (been learning a
lot
lately!)

This is a varistor.  It is round, about the size of nickel.  It catches
voltage spikes, and holds on to them.  If you search the Electrak
archives, you will see these refered to as MOV, for Metal Oxide
Varistor.  You need one that will take 36V.  I bought two at the local
parts store that was
rated 20-60V DC.    What happens is this guy takes a lot of spikes, and
one
day just gives up.  Both the tractors I am working on right now had them
cooked.

Some people will refer to this as a variable resistor, but make sure you
buy a varistor.  If you have downloaded the schematics for .org, they
refer to it on them as a "VR-1"

Original part # was V36ZA80, replacement, search the web for "V20680".

You may be able to get a whole new board from Harold Z.

>>  The component next to the long resistors, closest
>>to the firewall of tractor has burned and separated.  The only thing
>>left are the two metal wire connectors that obviously held the
>>component"

entities other than the intended recipient is  prohibited.  If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.

First Republic Bank and its subsidiaries do not take responsibility for,
or accept time-sensitive instructions sent by email including orders,
funds transfer instructions or stop payments on checks. All instructions
of this nature must be handled by direct communication, not email.

We reserve the right to monitor and review the content of all email
communications sent or received. Emails sent to or from this address may
be stored in accordance with regulatory requirements.