(ET) RE: Elec-trak Digest, Vol 3, Issue 196

Weeha!  My chance to answer a question for someone!  (been learning a lot
lately!)

This is a varistor.  It is round, about the size of nickel.  It catches
voltage spikes, and holds on to them.  If you search the Electrak archives,
you will see these refered to as MOV, for Metal Oxide Varistor.  You need
one that will take 36V.  I bought two at the local parts store that was
rated 20-60V DC.    What happens is this guy takes a lot of spikes, and one
day just gives up.  Both the tractors I am working on right now had them
cooked.

Some people will refer to this as a variable resistor, but make sure you
buy
a varistor.  If you have downloaded the schematics for .org, they refer to
it on them as a "VR-1"

Original part # was V36ZA80, replacement, search the web for "V20680".

You may be able to get a whole new board from Harold Z.