(ET) Alltrax DCX300 ET in E20

David Roden Akron OH USA wrote that he cannot imagine the controller doing what mine did to blow the power meter and stop. David you are good and know all about the connections and I have used your good works from the beginning. But I just make the connections as the schematic shows. I cannot however duplicate your schematic works, wish I could. This time I only connected the controller without the PTO. I checked the motor after the failure by connecting a 12V APC battery to the connectors which plugs onto the controller top at F1 & F2 and connecting the motor armature by connecting a 12V auto battery to cable removed from the B+ and B- lugs on the top of the controller. This was using the entire tractor wiring harness which connected the controller. The motor ran good in both directions as I switched polarity on the connections. Switching only the field polarity changed direction as did switching independently the polarity on the armature cables. The replacement controller had an older SN which may signal something to someone.

Don’t ask me why but I feel like the controller failed to drop the armature current while altering (not tamping down) the field current and polarity with a resulting high surge to the naked armature like a golf-cart controller. These are just speculations with questionable merit. Steve Richardson told me that Version 6 which he will send me has all the corrections to date. In a later breath he told me of a special golf-cart motor which was designed and tested on his ElecTrak which had a shaft to accommodate the ElecTrak pulley and worked successfully on his tractor. The so-called experimental motor employed a 30 amp field with a 300 amp armature winding.

John Briese reported that he has installed 2 AllTrax controllers in I-5s without problems, except for the PTO which he now have an understanding of.

Thank you David for your response and I will appreciate any further comment..