RE: (ET) one speed, no power E20

Further investigation tonight.  By paying a little more attention, it seems
that I do have a difference between speed 4 and 5, although it is very hard
to tell.

Also, if I am driving, and manually switch the throttle on an incline, I am
able to go a little better in 4 than in 5.

>> Took my E20 out to mow, but I have only one speed.

>Always fun. Does the speed come on when you first depress the pedal, or

>do you have to go into it to get it going? Is the ammeter pegged when
>you drive? How about when you go up a little hill?

Speed seems to come on right away.  If I manually hit the switches in the
throttle, motor turns immediately.  Also, in neutral, you can hear a slight
difference between speed 4 and 5.  Ammeter goes down a little, but does not
change at all on inclines, before the tractor gives up.

>> There is no throttle, tractor runs at only 1 speed, and there is not a
lot
>> of power.  The speed is not the slowest, but gets really bogged down on
any
>> incline.  Not usable, really.

>Sounds like either the field is disconnected or the tractor is running
>with all resistors in series.

>> But I still need help.
>Help is on the way.
THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE.  I YELL THANK YOU!!!

>> I have checked all the LARGE Solenoids, they all seem to work.
>> I checked the foot throttle, seems to be working fine.  (Also have tried
>> manually pressing the switches inside.)
>Define work? If you put the tractor in neutral and depress speed one, do
>you hear a click? How about when you go to speeds 2,3,4? Clicks there?

I hear a click on speed 1.  FR switches in.  no clicks for 2-8, except the
throttle switches clicking....
I checked the large Solenoids, by putting 12v across them.  They all
CLICKED

>> Cruise Control does not work, but it never has....
>That's easy to fix; we will do that later.
Cool

>> In the row of switches in the top, next to card 4 & 3...
>> First two switches activate when key is turned.  Third switch activates
when
>> throttle is depressed.  Fourth switch, (FW) never activates, from what I
can
>> tell.  I have replaced it, but the result is the same.  If I manually
press
>> the fourth switch (while turning the motor, of course) it still does
> >nothing.

>That sounds right. If you throw the tractor into reverse, then the third
>relay should not activate, correct? Least your basic wiring is good.
The third relay does not activate in reverse.  Fourth relay simply never
does anything.  I replaced 4th switch, still never switching.  Never gets
much voltage across it while driving, according to my Meter.

>> I have checked all the wiring running to the motor.
>Check for voltage on the field. Make sure there is a nice 36 volts going
down there. It should be 36 volts or so in speeds 1-4, dropping down as
you hit 5-8.
OK, I checked the field voltage by disconnecting the 4prong plug from the
motor.  Field, which I read on the schematic to be wires 36 and 62, reads
24.8 sitting still then:
Speed 1   26
Speed 2-4   25.7
Speed 4-8   25.8
I am not sure I did this right.  But the other two wires made no sense;
Speed 1 3.8
Speed 2 .1
Speed 3 .1
Speed 4 19.0
Speeds 5-8  20.8
Again, these readings do not make sense to me, so I may not have measured
it
correctly.  But I did read wires 36 and 62 as the field.

BTW, the tractor goes in a reasonably fast speed from the start, on a flat
section.  On an incline it dies.  If I come off the throttle,(to what seems
like speed 4) it does better.   If I manually depress the fourth relay
(FW),
it either does a little better, or stops, depending on what little speed I
may be getting going up the incline, before it completely stops.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.  Thanks, Chris for quick response!

> I have two working tractors, an E12s and an E12m, one runs ok and the
other
> I did the Alltrax addition.  This E20 I kind of wanted to keep as an
> older
> "pure" version, so I do not really want to put an Alltrax in it. (not to
> mention the expense....)
Don't bother with an Alltrax. It's an E20 :-)

Chris