Re: (ET) New steering problem

> The
front battery compartment had partially collapsed, and the nice plasic tray hid the fact from the top. The compartment was literally riding on the steering gear!

That's pretty interesting. I took out the rear batteries in my E20 to replace two bad ones with two used ones. While the battery was out I took a look at the condition of things:

The battery bag was ripped on one edge. Drat.

Under the plastic battery tray there was some rust.

On the rear of the box there was some rust on the seam weld.

So I cleaned it all out with a wire brush, vacuumed, and put down a coat of POR15. That should handle the rust. Then I put down 2 coats of the latex elec-trak yellow, then reinstalled everything.

Hint: Just replace all of the battery clamps; they are a mess anyway.

I highly recommend pulling all the batteries every few years to check on the undersides. We will see how well POR15 handles acid.

Chris

Chris