RE: (ET) Spring cleaning leads to questions

Robert Klein wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Some words to the wise:
>
> Once you get your deck back use POR instead of Rustoleum.
> You'll get a great primary bond between the por and the white
> metal and a lot thicker (Mil) buildup.  You can overcoat the
> POR with the white if you want to keep the deck looking
> clean.

I had heard that POR-15 was some seriously nasty stuff to apply, and
thought
I remembered that it was a two part coating.  I just looked at their
website
and found I was only half right.  Make sure you apply it in a very well
ventilated area.  But it's one-part, and is especially well suited to
painting directly over rust - no need to sandblast.

There was something else I vaguely remember, that the POR site doesn't
address.  Since it is a humidity-cure coating, is the whole container
useless once it's exposed to air?  Why else would they supply it in 6 packs
of 4 oz. cans?  It's kinda pricey to be throwing large amounts away.

> I've been told by this group not to use my pressure
> washer to clean the deck.  Now I use an old wood kitchen
> scraper which works great.  I also shed store my front
> mounted deck in the vertical position so the underneath gets
> a lot of air time.

I don't know, from the ad copy you'd think you could clean your deck with a
machine gun and not hurt the coating. ;^)

> You should not be having corrosion issues with the
> steel/Stainless steel interfaqce.  They are just not far
> enough away on the noble metals chart. See below link.  Mild
> steel and 304/316 SS are next to each other and they're not
> in a saltwater environment.
> http://www.clementsmarine.co.uk/PDF/TD015/TD015.PDF
>
> I would recommend using steel fasteners and degrease and
> paint over them after assembly.

I know, I've seen the tables and I normally wouldn't think there would be
much of a problem.  But I've also seen outdoor life tests of some
industrial
devices where steel fasteners were used to mount stainless steel
nameplates.
The fasteners turned to rust dust in no time.

Which leads me to my favorite saying for this week:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same.  But in practice, ...."

Chris Tromley
near Philadelphia  PA  USA

100% Gas-Free Yard Equipment:
* Avco New Idea EGT 150 electric tractor
  with mid-mount mower deck and snow blade
* B&D corded electric mower and string trimmer
* Patriot 1.5 hp electric chipper/shredder/vac
* Remington Garden Wizard corded electric tiller
* Craftsman corded electric snow thrower