RE: (ET) Thin shims

A little known useful fact is that most 110VAC relays work well on DC in the range of 20-40 VDC. The AC impedance of a coil is higher than the DC impedance, so the same coil will draw more current on DC than AC. You have to try your relay to see exactly what DC voltage it likes. But you can't generally go the other way. DC relays used on AC will often buzz a lot. They make the AC relays a bit different to minimize the buzz. I don't know what they do different, but there is something.

Harry Landis

From: "Markus Lorch" <mlorch vt edu>
To: "'Christopher Zach'" <czach computer org>,"'Elec-trak list'" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Subject: RE: (ET) Thin shims
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:13:36 -0400

> In related news my tractor's cut-out at full power was related to a
> mis-aligned relay. One of these days I will replace all the
> relays with
> nice 24 volt+resistor ones. Those in there tend to be very particular.

Chris,

try these:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005041919113835&catname=&qty=1&it
em=11-2382

They are enclosed, 36V, and seem more reliable than the original ones.
Mike Wallace found them originally and told me and at one point posted
them also to the elec-trak forum

I got me a set but haven't installed them yet.

The price is right at $4.99

Markus