Re: (ET) Lift motors from cars - Superwinch

I got my E15 in November with a dead lift and a bunch of parts I stripped
from another, rusted out E15.  Luckilly for me the lift motor I stripped
out
was working, so in the process of converting the machine to use Alltrax, I
swapped lifts.  Then I had a little mis-hap which turned out to be caused
by
the fusible link getting so hot that it melted/burned the insulation on and
shorted out a bunch of wires that were touching it.  I guess both the up
and
down wires got 18V for some period of time.  Since I already had the other
lift out of the machine, I opened it up and figured out that the reason it
wasn't working was because one of the brushes was shot.  So I had my first
experience with lift motor repair, eventually found some brushes that had a
heavy enough "shunt" wire that I could cut down and make fit.  I swapped it
out and things were fine for the last couple of snow storms.  Then one day
after the snow melted I spent about 10 minutes driving around the yard with
my 3-yr old on my lap.  Nothing attached to the lift.  No reason for
anything to have changed on the lift motor, since I didn't touch the
switch - but the next time I tried it it wasn't working anymore.  So I
opened up the "spare" lift motor to see if I could fix it, and it was fried
inside.  I mean, the insulation on the wires literally looked like fried
egg
white, bubbled and toasted.  Didn't look particularly salvageable.

I never got around to looking at the motor that had mysteriously stopped
working - I had lost faith with that power window motor technology.

I spent a while looking at Ebay for winches, keeping in mind the advice I
had seen about "power-out as well as power-in" and decided I needed a Warn
1500 or equivalent or copy, but I was too cheap to buy the Warn or
Superwinch and too nervous about quality to buy the chinese copy.  Then I
realized that I had a winch attached to an old SnowBear snowplow I had
foolishly bought at BJ's a few years back that didn't work out for me, and
that I hadn't been able to sell.  Took a closer look and lo-and-behold,
it's
a small Superwinch, probably a 1500.  So I unmounted that and drilled a
couple of holes in the front plate "grille" just below the GE logo and
bolted the winch on the front.  It sticks out the side a couple of inches,
which precludes mounting it below - it interferes with the snowblower
mounting bracket. Hooked up the fused switch wires through the main
disconnect (ET OEM) to the front two batteries (after deciding that it was
too fast, too loud and I was too nervous to leave it hooked up to 18V).  It
had some sort of chain holder bolted over the hub instead of steel wire
cable, so I bought 15 feet of 1" tubular nylon webbing at EMS for $0.65 /
ft
and sewed loops into each end and used a split-ring key ring in one end to
make the loop over the winch hub (I guess I could have looped it through
itself, didn't think of that till just now).  Now this winch is fast, and
powerful.  I hooked the snowblower back up just to see how it worked, and
with the usual 2:1 reduction gained from threading the strap under the
roller on the snowblower and attaching it back up at the original
"fairlead", it quickly and easily raised the blower  - no more of the
groaning and creaking of the old lift motor.

Only big problem so far is that it occupies some of the space needed by the
snowblower discharge chute when the blower is lifted; I could only lift it
high enough to just get the dolly it's stored on out from under.  And
that's
not  high enough for normal plowing use. So I need a new location.  I'm
thinking about cutting a big hole in the right side of the front
compartment
just above the transformer, since I've already removed the field-weakening
resistors.  Then I could mount the winch on the inside of the front plate
"grille" with the end of the motor protruding about 3 or 4 inches out the
right side and the wires attached thereto sneaking back inside, and feed
the
strap through a opening with fairlead roller(s?) I'd have to create in the
grille.  But I'm nervous about that too, since it will result in big gaping
holes if something about this experiment doesn't pan out, and there's no
such clearance problem when lifting the mower.  I don't think there will be
with the dozer blade but I haven't tried yet.  So I have a few months to
worry about the alternatives.  Not to mention I haven't figured out with
what I will cut the requisite holes.... a hacksaw seems like such a hack..
a file will take too long.  Some combination of the two is probably the
answer, plus pilot holes using the drill. I'm sure I'm not going to be
unbolting and unriveting it and taking it to a machine shop to get it
milled
=)

comments and suggestions and criticism welcome...

Joel
ps. And I had no idea OEM ET lift motors are still available anywhere - are
they?