Re: (ET) off topic but interesting...

At 02:17 PM 4/4/05 -0400, Chapin, Tim wrote:

This auction is on eBay currently.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40155&item=714673
1105&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It talks about increasing the speed of you series wound golf cart motor.
It appears the kit is a solenoid some short cables, a switch to control
the solenoid and some wire for the switch....

What is the guess on how this works?? Messing with the field on the
motor? Skipping the controller and giving a straight hook from the
batteries to the motor?

At a guess, it's field weakening using the solenoid and power wiring as the shunt resistor. That conclusion is reinforced by his exclusion of PM motors and the observation that MOSFET controllers get to 100% on and so don't benefit from a bypass contactor as SCR controllers do. Since it's not matched to the motor I'd expect operation to be hit and miss. It might actually slow down some vehicles.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions, be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to chew a radio signal. " -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/