RE: (ET) Battery height

Markus Lorch wrote:

> What have others done to accomodate slightly taller
> batteries? I know of Keith's new battery boxes but I am not
> quite ready to make such a big modification and paint at this
> point in time.

Hi Markus,

There's another thing you need to consider too.  I believe the rear cover
is
supposed to be flat, but mine and many of the ones I've seen in pictures
are
bowed down from the rider's weight.  I'd figure some way of measuring
exactly how much height I had to deal with.

If I'm not mistaken, the stud-top posts and some Trojan posts can also use
automotive (conical) terminals.  That alone could get you more than an inch
of clearance (after you cut off the studs).  Since T-145s are about 3/4"
taller than T-105s or T-125s (I think), going to automotive terminals might
be all you need to accept the higher-capacity T-145s.  Without Keith's very
nice taller box.

I know it's a pain and some expense to change your cables to automotive
terminals.  But they're more reliable than the ring terminals on studded
posts, and many of us are probably due for new cables anyway.

Chris